Speak Skills Quiz
By Maura J. Graber & The
We live in
an ever changing and ever evolving, global economy and society. Effective
communication is an important factor in all aspects of our business and
social endeavors. How others interpret your “Culture Speak”
affects not only your social life, but it can affect your bank account
Most linguists agree that there is a sensory
mode, unique to each culture, that is expressed in a figure of speech
enabling a person to say how fully he, or she, knows something.
Match the countryman with the proper figure
of speech to find your “Culture Speak” score and what
your score may reveal about your communication with others.
The sensory mode &
figure of speech expressed:
1. Complete Involvement- “...as if I had given
birth to it.”
2. Auditory or Acoustic- “...to the bottom.”
3. Tactile- “...like the inside of my pocket.”
4. Visual- “...like the back of my hand.”
5. Iconic or Recognized Form- “...like the palm of
6. Kinetic- “...inside-out.”
7. Vocal or Acoustic- “I could say it backward and not make
8. Active Process- “...like a snake swimming in water.”
Give yourself a point for
every correct answer. What does your
score reveal about your “culture speak” savvy?
If you scored;
0-2 pts. You may need to get out into the world more often.
3-5 pts. You’re pretty savvy with your culture speak.
6-8 pts. Please start teaching others. We all
might get along better.
©Copyright 2003/Maura J.
Graber/The R.S.V.P. Institute of Etiquette